ZM Travels: Desert Days - Joshua Tree
My Time in the Desert at Joshua Tree
Pictured above is Bianca, she owns some of the most beautiful houses in Joshua Tree and fortunately for us they're all available to rent on Airbnb. You can browse her properties here. She was an incredibly gracious host and kindly modelled some of my new pieces around her property.
Joshua tree is a couple hours inland from LA and is a little oasis of calm. The house was perfectly kitted out from locally sourced tea to yoga mats that came in handy for my sunrise yoga sessions. If you're an early bird like me and take any opportunity to catch a beautiful sunrise, I can't think of a better place than Desert Hillside Hideaway.
1. The National Park - the landscape is breathtaking. I would suggest going on as many hikes as you can to take in the surroundings. I'm managed about 5 (or rather 6. I did one twice!). This was totally manageable in one day and I would genuinely recommend all or any of them. I did Barker Dam, Hidden Valley, Ryan Mt, Skull Rock, 40 Palms Oasis (this one you have to go out the park and back in). Don't miss Natural Sisters Cafe - they do the most delicious smoothies, ideal before a day of hiking.
2. Pioneertown - A town reminiscent of the small towns from American Western films. It was in fact set up to house film crews and production companies while filming took place in the desert landscape and also in the town itself. While at Pioneertown, head to Pappy & Harriets, where you can enjoy lovely food and drink. Many well known music artists have played small, secret gigs here throughout the years.
3. La Copine - best apple pie ever! It's a really delicious Roadside stop.
4. Integratron - this is amazing! It's incredible structure makes it the most amazing place to have a sound bath. To take part you need to book in advance.
5. Crossroads Cafe - a great brunch spot on Joshua Tree. I enjoyed their yummy polenta eggs.
Its such an amazing an unique place and landscape to explore, make sure you also check out the many thrift store around town and grab yourself a bargin!